Thursday, January 17, 2008

Grandpa and Grandma

I had dinner with my granny this evening. With my studies and home-shifting keeping me busy for several weeks, I haven't visited her in a long time. Her little actions and words made me realised that she is probably a little lonely. I always know her to be a strong lady. But I guess even the strongest person will feel lonely. I'm so glad my new place is much nearer to her home. I just hope that I'll be able to effectively manage my commitments going forward so that I can spend more time with her.

When I visited her, I brought along some extra stuff from home to see whether any of my relatives would want them. Amongst them was a photo-holder, and both my granny and I thought it would be nice to use it to display a photo in the living room. She took out a small photo album to look through for nice photos. And she chose a photo of the semi-detached home we used to stayed in together when I was in primary school. That was the place that my grandpa and her shifted to after staying in a kampung, and it was also the same place he passed away.

In that photo album, there was a photo my grandpa and granny took at Haw Par Villa. I later took that photo album aside and stared at that photo for quite a bit. I haven't seen his photo in a long long time as he passed away quite a number of years ago. And while I know I have always missed him, and regretted that I was still a childish and spoilt brat when he passed away, seeing the photo was like a sting to my heart and made me realised how much I missed him. If only he is still around.

I miss him. And I think my granny misses him lots more even though she doesn't mention it.

It's so important to treasure our family and friends, and show them our love while we still can. It's funny, but with age, I begin to treasure my family even more. Maybe it is because of the realisation that with each passing moment, you know there is one less moment you can spend with them. And I really dread the day when God takes them away from me.

Some people don't like to talk about it. But it's reality right. I really wish they will get to know Him so that we can spend eternity together.

No comments: