Monday, March 10, 2008

Morton's


I first tasted Morton's steak sandwich during its weekday Martini happy hour, and for someone who is not too fond of red meat, I fell head over heels with the sandwiches. So for the longest time, I've been wanting to sink my teeth into the restaurant's famed beef steaks, as well as its Godiva hot chocolate cake.

The opportunity finally came yesterday in the form of a belated birthday treat for my cousins. My cousins and I have something in common - a love for gooood food. So I figured Morton's was probably a suitable place for us meatlovers to enjoy dinner together.

It was a Sunday evening, and the restaurant was packed, mostly with foreigners though. It felt as though I was dining overseas. There was lively banter all around, and the service staff were generally quite courteous. Except they seemed so busy, we had difficultly getting their attention at times. What I found interesting was that a service staff would come round to introduce the choices of main course. They pushed a cart containing the actual cuts of the raw meat, and even a live lobster!


The food portions were huge, especially E's porterhouse steak. I shared a steak (think mine was a Double Cut Filet Mignon, which according to the service staff, was the leanest & most tender cut) with my hubby, while my cousins each enjoyed a choice cut of their own. Among us, we also shared garlic mash potatoes and spinach with mushrooms. All the dishes were really good. My steak was really tender. It was also a little burnt at the edges which gave a really nice chao-ta smell and taste. The main course had me feeling satisfied, my hubby craving for more beef, E with some remainder of her huge portion, and K really bloated cos he actually managed to finish his steak!

I was looking forward to dessert which comprised of the Godiva chocolate cake and a Grand Marnier souffle. The desserts were not as great as I thought they would be. The cake was a little tough on the outside, but the molten choclate that oozed from the center made up for everything. I found the "egg" taste in the souffle a tad too strong although my hubby thoroughly enjoyed it. In comparison, I think Bakerzin's desserts are better, though my hubby didn't agree on that.

So overall dinner was pretty good. Pricing was on the high end, but you get what you pay for. Definitely worth the splurge. And from the greedy looks on my hubby last evening, I think I'll definitely be back there again =)

No comments: