Monday, May 14, 2007

A Momentous May

Blog #2 comes exactly 2 weeks after my first blog..not very disciplined huh. In true fact, I've been wanting to blog for quite a while..but with my exams just round the corner, I figured that I better concentrate on studying first.

Anyway, I'm blogging in office now...my boss probably thinks I'm really diligent, clicking away during lunchtime (but then, my boss is not around lah =P)

Okie, enough of nonsense....hmmz, what has happened in my life over the past 2 weeks? Actually, May has been a really momentous month...lots of events happened:

1) My hubby has gotten a job (yipee!! now i'm a step closer to my dream of leading a tai tai lifestyle);
2) We bought a place (right now, I'm really excited about doing up my new place!)
3) My in-laws sold their place at Holland Rd (made quite substantial profits..property market is doing really well now, & suspect things will look even better with Formula 1 and IR coming up, but too bad i dun have the $$ to invest);
4) Had dinner at Rakuzen last Friday to post-celebrate my aunt's birthday; and
5) Yesterday was Mothers' Day!

Dinner at Rakuzen was not bad...I booked a private room, which was quite cosy and nice, except for the occasional shrieks of laughter from adjacent rooms, which was amplified by the thin walls. But I suppose my family and I also had our fair share of sending the echos of our conversations and laughter to our neighbours ,hee.

The most memorable dish was probably the sashimi...really fresh and tender. I'm a fan of salmon sashimi (or rather, i'm not too excited about other types of raw fish), and found that the salmon slices was of the right (not perfect though) thickness - slightly chewy, yet soft and fresh. We also ate the spider maki roll, which received unanimous nods from my family, and according to my aunt, the cold soba was quite yummy. I tried a bit of of that, but thought it was just so-so...but well, I aint no fan of soba or cold dishes lah, unless its dessert . Desserts are right at the top of my food list, but let's keep that to another post another time =)


Yesterday was Mothers' Day. My family has the usual practice of having a pot-luck at my granny's place. My contribution this year is delicious hokkien mee from Old Airport Road Hawker Centre (had to wait half an hour for it) and decadent and sinful passionfruit meringue from The Patissier.
Doesn't the cake look too pretty to eat? The cake is really soft and has a melt-in-your-mouth texture, although it is a tat too sweet. My family enjoyed it though. And well, with only light cream (or is it moouse) and no chocolate, I guess it is slightly friendlier on the calories compared to its chocolate counterparts.


As with all family gatherings, there was too much food. From satays (think at least 100 sticks), otahs (also at least 100), bee hoon, hokkien mee, my granny's renowned, ngoh hiang, kong ba bao, chin chow, Singapore's best red bean soup homebrewed by my 2nd aunt, yam paste, tiramisu ice-cream cake to the meringue...we didn't even finish half of the food! But as there was lottas food, we had lottas fun too. A temporary mahjong table was set up and the younger ones were seriously playing (serious = involves grabbing, chasing, screaming) with each other!

For me, i'm feeling a bit too old to engage in their serious playtime..so i've decided to be photographer and started snapping some pictures, including that of my cousin stealing bites of satay while dipping biscuits into milo. He's really cute and is apparently picking up kung fu (that's him in the kung fu costume), but kinda camera shy, which explains why he didn't want to look at the camera. In fact, to prevent him from taking from satay, i just have to point my camera at him to pretend that I want to catch him in action, and he'll immediately put the satay back on the plate!
And here's a picture of my BIG happy family. Not everyone is in the picture though, as some had left earlier. But its nice to have a "quan jia fu"...and this photo just brings smiles to my face, and I am reminded to be thankful and appreciate of my wonderful family.





And this year, other than my usual practice of giving ang pows to my mum and granny, I decided to make my granny a little accessory for her handbag. Here's it:
It is a little heart made from Swarovski crystals..took me about 1.5hours to make it..reasonable time lah, considering it is my 1st attempt.
Our next family gathering will be a BBQ at my/my aunt's place ("/" because I'm currently renting her apartment). Will try to post some memorable pictures then, but for now, i think my 3rd blog will have to wait till after my exams on 25 May 07. Can't wait for it to be over haiz...

















No comments: