Monday, June 17, 2013

Birthday Thoughts

Today, I turn a year older. And I am starting to feel old.  This day every year reminds me that I am definitely aging - I just hope that I don't look and feel older than I should. 

My gosh, am I really in my mid-thirties? When I was much younger, my image of someone in her mid-thirties would be someone who was very old. If I had to describe her, she would be wearing spectacles, hair tied up neatly in a bun, and dressed in a business suit (note: skirt has to be knee length). In short, she looks traditional and well, just old. Thankfully or not, I don't feel that way yet.

Fifteen years ago, I thought nothing about jumping around along Orchard Road and making a din. I was also thrilled to slide down a muddy slope blindfolded, and to walk through a cemetery in the middle of the night. In fact, it was so fun I wouldn't mind reliving those days again. But as one gets older, people often expect one to behave with a greater sense of propriety and decorum. I recall members of the public (presumably the adults) called and complained to the university that we were a nuisance at Orchard Road.  Didn't they know we were just having harmless fun? The feeling of liberation and satisfaction when you perform funny & awkward (but totally decent) acts in front of total strangers - you have to experience it to understand the kick of doing it.  I miss those crazy years, but am glad that at least, I still have the memories from those years.

Just recently, A and I attended Mayday concert and we behaved as if we were 10 years younger.   We jumped, sung, yelled and cheered non-stop to all the great tunes the band performed.  I have never felt so carefree and relaxed. My key takeaway from the concert was to live life to the fullest - 要活得精采!I hope to attend all future Mayday concerts and I never want to become too inhibited to belt my lungs out and jump about. 

Back to the reality of today, today was an ordinary day. A is overseas for work, my son is running a high fever, my daughter continues to test my patience by not finishing her milk, and the air smells bad (apparently PSI level is above 100). Other than a mini celebration after dinner, today felt like any other day. I didn't even stepped out of my house one bit. But I am happy - happy that even though there wasn't a "high" to my day, at least there were no "lows". Well, I did treat myself to wholesome homemade almond butter for breakfast, and also cheered myself by watching shows on iPad. I guess what makes today less ordinary is being remembered by friends and family and receiving their birthday greetings. 

The positive part about growing old is that I have learnt to appreciate the little blessings in life. In fact, I think I am now more excited about my kids' birthdays than my own. Celebrating their birthdays and seeing the little faces light up makes me feel as happy as if I am also celebrating my birthday. 

So today is coming to an end. My final thoughts? I guess I just have to accept that growing old is part and parcel of life. I hope the wrinkles and white hair will stay away for many many years to come. And I never want to feel old. Here's a toast to feeling young and happy always! 

No comments: