Monday, July 11, 2011

Italy - Siena and Montepulciano (9 Jul 2011) 

Grabbed a cone of gelato before leaving San Gimignano for Siena.  Siena is a huge city with a huge town square.  Around the square are lined with restaurants and shops - most of the restaurants were packed with people who were enjoying their meals alongside the views of the square and Palazzo Communale.  We visited the courtyard of the Palazzo Communale (free entry) and saw a long queue of people waiting to scale the tower.  Apparently only 30 people are allowed up the tower at any one time, which explains the long queue.  

We visited the Duomo after lunch.  As I was wearing a sleeveless top, I was given a paper-like shawl to cover my shoulders before I could enter the Duomo.  The interior of the Duomo is supported by unique black-and-white pillars, and at one end of the cathedral is a round stained glass depicting what looks like The Last Supper. The marble floor of the cathedral is covered by picture carvings but only a portion of the floor could be viewed, with the rest being covered up to protect the floor.  A told me that twice a year, the entire marble floor would be revealed for viewing and the entrance fees for those days would double to 6 Euros for each visitor.  The most spectacular part of the cathedral would be the library room with ceilings completely covered with vivid-coloured paintings.  There was also a statue of 3 women in the middle of the room depicting the 3 graces - grace, fascination and (something else we can't remember).  Apparently, the statues were previously owned by a rich family and it was common for wealthy families in the past to display their art collection in a designated room.

After Siena, we drove towards Montepulciano.  When we stopped at a petrol kiosk to top up our fuel, surprisingly no one was mending the kiosk though we could still top up the fuel by paying cash at a machine.  Looks like it is the norm for petrol kiosks to be closed on weekends.

Our hotel, or more appropriately termed holiday villa, was outside Montepulciano. It is set in a lovely garden filled with fruit trees and flowers.  A had splurged on a cottage with a pretty garden and a kitchen.  We had to pay if we wanted to use the kitchen, and if we wanted a bath towel for the pool, it would cost us 1 Euro too.  By now, I am used to the fact that everything at Italy has a price tag to it. 

I have veered off my initial thoughts - all I wanted to say was that the place had a lovely setting.  And I also had my best meal there since I arrived in Italy.  Dinner was in the midst of a garden - I had beef stew and the best apple tart (drenched in bittersweet caramel)  I have ever tasted.  A had a delicious dish of tomatoes stuffed with risotto, and pasta with sheep cream cheese. The menu sounded ordinary, but the dishes were exceptional.   A and I each had an apple tart, and he didn't even notice there were raisins in the tart until his last few mouthfuls.  That speaks a lot for someone who is "psychologically allergic" to raisins. I am already eagerly looking forward to dinner tomorrow.

No comments: