Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Happy 43rd Birthday Singapore!

This year's National Day Song is great..the tune and the meaningful lyrics got me hooked the 1st time I saw the MTV on TV. Now I stay glued to the TV whenever the MTV comes on.

Thanks to the great invention of Internet and Youtube, I can rewatch the MTV over and over with just a few clicks on my laptop. If this was 10 years ago, I'll probably be holding a tape recorder to the TV and recording the song onto a casette tape. So many thanks to advancements in technology I have already ceased this primitive practice.

Shine For Singapore - Hady Mirza


There's also a Chinese version by Cai Chun Jia, although I much prefer the English version by Hady.

Qing Kong Wan Li - Joi Chua


Listening to National Day Songs brings me back to primary and secondary days where I'll be crooning National Day Songs almost every other day in school. In those days, my top favs were "Heritage" and "It's the Little Things". For the past few years, National Day Songs have become more contemporary and are no different from K-songs..I'm hoping the MTV of this year's National Day Song will be available at KTV so that I can belt to my heart's content. I'm already starting to do so at home..opps.

As National Day approaches and I am reminded how a little fishing village 43 years ago survived against all odds to become a busy financial hub today, I feel a sense of national pride. I hereby unashamedly proclaim that I am proud to be a Singaporean, and I thank God for Singapore. My life would be totally different if I was born in a different country. I love the green in Singapore, the excellent spread of local delicacies, the strict laws against littering, great security which gives me peace of mind, our capable and uncorrupted government, freedom of religion, and our belief in racial harmony and equality.

As a tribute to the country I love, I've posted the videos of some other National Day Songs which like:

There's No Place I'd Rather Be - Kit Chan


We Will Get There - Stephanie Sun


Where I Belong - Tanya Chua


Home - Kit Chan


And here's a song written and sung by my pastor..although this is not exactly my type of song, i think it is apt to post it because the video includes footages from World World II and serves as a good reminder of how far Singapore has progressed, and to be grateful for the peace and security we are enjoying everyday!

No comments: